How to Fund Your Outward Bound Experience
Outward Bound Costa Rica courses aren’t just incredible ways to immerse yourself in Costa Rican culture, test your limits with thrilling adventures, or learn to work as part of a team. They are part of an unparalleled education rooted in experiential learning. Our students can earn up to 12 university credits, trek from coast to coast, and even earn up to 7 internationally-recognized certifications. Most importantly, they discover that some of the best classrooms are the ones without walls. An Outward Bound course is not only a unforgettable experience that fosters both personal and professional development, it is one that employers and universities around the world recognize the value of.
When seeking academic credit, students are simultaneously looking for the best and most affordable way to fund their course. We understand that this can be challenging, which is why we have provided a list of resources for both you and your academic advisor to review. Communicating with your academic advisor is key, as is applying for scholarships early and often.
Useful websites with scholarships, financial aid information and more
FastWeb.com: This scholarship database is free to sign up and lists thousands of academic scholarships and grants. It’s advanced and personalized search features let you narrow down the options.
FinAid.org: A great resource for understanding college financial aid (Hint: If you are already receiving financial aid, many universities will allow you to use it towards a study abroad experience!)
StudyAbroad.com: Information and resources for funding study abroad, types of scholarships available and travel tips
StudyAbroadFunding.org: An information-packed site with links and information of funding educational travel abroad, getting academic credit and more.
Potential Scholarships for Outward Bound Costa Rica Students
We’ve included three of many available scholarships that our students could be great candidates for. Learn how to apply below, and don’t delay in getting the process started!
Amount: $500 – $1,000 awarded to qualified applicants
- Deserving individuals who have an interest in outdoor activities, outdoor education and outdoor educational leadership; and
- Who are enrolled in, or are enrolling in, outdoor educational programs, outdoor educational courses or programs and/or outdoor leadership educational courses or programs at qualifying educational institutions.
The Fine Print: Quality and content of the essay questions in this application are important, so make sure to set aside some time for this.
Amount: $5,000 awarded to 2,300 recipients each academic year
- For students receiving or planning to receive a Federal Pell Grant, studying or interning abroad for at least four weeks in one country.
- Students encouraged to choose non-traditional study and intern destinations, especially those outside of Western Europe, Australia, and New Zealand.
- Students who have been traditionally under-represented in education abroad, including but not limited to, students with high financial need, community college students, students in underrepresented fields such as the sciences and engineering, students with diverse ethnic backgrounds, and students with disabilities.
The Fine Print: Applicants must be U.S. citizen undergraduates. This application process is very long, so it is recommended to start the process during your semester prior to studying abroad. See this page for application dates and deadlines.
Amount: Up to $10,000 awarded to up to 15 recipients each year
- Preference given to those applying to a study abroad program that: is known for its academic rigor and immersion elements; includes studying the language of the host country (if not English); includes a sustainable service-learning or volunteering component; and/or is located in a non-traditional destination
- Preference given to those who demonstrate financial need
- Strongly encouraged for students to apply who represent a group that is traditionally underrepresented in education abroad
- Several lifestyle and location-specific scholarships available
The Fine Print: FEA scholarships require students to meet a list of requirements found on their page and there are additional scholarships available that would be suitable for prospective Outward Bound students.