As the leader in experiential education in Central America, our team is what drives our mission and inspires leadership and character development in our students. Our organization is comprised of a unique mix of both local Costa Rican and foreign national staff who are not only knowledgeable outdoor educators but also exemplify the culturally competent, global leaders that the Outward Bound educational model strives to instill in its students.
Available employment opportunities will be posted on this page– Please check back regularly to learn about new openings.
WHO WE HIRE
IN THE FIELD
We seek qualified, culturally-sensitive outdoor educators to join our team here in Costa Rica. The majority of our full-time foreign national field instructors are alumni of our Outward Leader Semester, which trains students in seven internationally-recognized outdoor certifications as well as in Outward Bound’s holistic approach to experiential education. Visit the program’s course page for more information on how to participate in this training program.
IN THE COMMUNICATIONS OFFICE
The Communications Office is a small, collaborative team responsible for all communications, sales, marketing and customer service tasks organization-wide. Staffers are charged with increasing course participation across all target audiences and ensuring excellent customer service with regard to stakeholder communication from prospective students, to families of students currently on course, to alumni and partners. Positions within the Communications Office are contract-based and range in duration.
We hire summer interns for positions both in our Programming and Communications Offices as well as in the field to support our organization’s high season (June-August).
Alumni of our Outdoor Leader Semester who best exemplify what it takes to become and Outward Bound educator are typically offered a paid internship as a field instructor for Outward Bound Costa Rica’s high season, with the possibility of staying on as a year-round instructor.
Hear the story of three Outdoor Leader Semester alumni who reflect on their course experience and how it led to instructor experience in the field:
Marketing & Media Manager, Duration of Contract -24 Months
The Communications Office is a small, collaborative team responsible for all communications, sales, marketing and customer service tasks organization-wide. Staffers are charged with increasing course participation across all target audiences and ensuring excellent customer service with regard to stakeholder communication from prospective students, to families of students currently on course, to alumni and partners.
The Marketing & Media Manager plays a crucial role in the Communications Office and is responsible for successfully marketing Outward Bound Costa Rica and its programs internationally through various social media outreach methods, maintaining and updating the OBCR website, researching 3rd party sites for collaboration, updating all course pictures and descriptions, creating new content on all social media channels and maintaining our relationship with local and international media centers of influence. This role focuses on extensive external communication and essential digital aptitude. Candidates must have excellent written and verbal English skills, be conversant in Spanish, have strong attention to detail, and proven success in marketing, social media content and writing.
This position requires relocating to Costa Rica and committing to a 24-month contract. Desired start date is February 2017.
The Marketing & Media Manager reports directly to the Director of Marketing & Communications. Hours are 9am to 5pm, some weekends and limited travel.
• Develop and lead strategies for online marketing and advertising including Google AdWords, third-party referral sites, Facebook ads, and more
• Boost website visits by tracking Google Analytics and leading Search Engine Optimization efforts
• Update website as needed using WordPress and HTML
• Serve as primary copywriter for communications materials
• Develop targeted marketing and outreach newsletters and E-blasts to new and existing audiences to maximize program participation
• Design materials for print and web as needed
• Manage Outward Bound Costa Rica’s social networking efforts including Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Flickr, Google+, Pinterest, etc., and serve as the organization’s “voice” across these platforms
• Proactively liaise with students and outdoor field staff to obtain photos, videos, and content for social media
• Develop and maintain editorial calendar for the Outward Bound Costa Rica blog. Research and write articles and assign posts to interns and fellow staff as needed
• Develop and lead public relations strategies to generate widespread brand awareness and boost enrollment.
• Draft and distribute press releases for Outward Bound Costa Rica students to garner coverage in local media outlets.
• Maintain alumni ambassador database and develop strategies to encourage increased, long-term communication with Outward Bound Costa Rica.
• 2+ years professional experience in marketing with responsibility for social media, recruitment outreach/engagement, public relations communications, Google analytics and design
• Experience managing people
• Proven customer service and administration skills
• Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, or related field
• Strong organization and project management skills
• Proven experience managing multiple social media platforms and ability to generate innovative ideas to expand online presence
• Motivated to initiate and lead projects
• Creative and professional writing skills
• Design skills
• Conversant in Spanish
• Proficient in Microsoft Office & Excel; HTML, WordPress, and Google Analytics • Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign) or similar platform
• Experience with photo and video platforms
• Experience with MailChimp and Salesforce or similar platforms
• Cultural sensitivity
• Willingness and ability to live and work in close quarters with a small group of people
• Strong cross-cultural communication skills
• Spanish language skills (conversational ability or above strongly preferred)
• Personal interest in the outdoors and the mission of Outward Bound
• Ability to multi-task and stay focused despite regular interruption
• Sense of humor
• Tenacity about traveling and ability to create a personal connections outside of the work environment
• Ability to manage conflict professionally
• At least one year living, working or studying outside of your home country
• Salary plus bonus
• 30 days paid vacation
• Medical Insurance
• Round trip ticket to Costa Rica
• Private bedroom in a furnished, 4 bedroom / 2 bathroom house on OBCR basecamp (located SE of San Jose in San Ramon de Tres Rios) – all utilities included (water, electricity, phone, cable TV, wireless internet)
• Access to Outward Bound Costa Rica courses and equipment for personal use
HOW TO APPLY
Submit cover letter and resume to Deb Woolley at email@example.com. Specify “Marketing & Media Manager” in the subject line. Be sure to include details on your availability, both for interviews and ultimate start date.
No phone calls please.
Communications Intern, Duration of Contract: May 2017 – August 2017
The Communications Intern will focus on assisting with final enrollment communication concentrating on Social Media and website posts and updates. June-August is the organization’s high season, during which time approximately 250-350 students (average age: 16) participate in courses ranging from 2 to 7 weeks. The Communications Intern will be responsible for student logistics in addition to PR/Social media communications and other duties as assigned. The following description of duties is not inclusive of all tasks for which the Communications Intern will be responsible:
1. Assist with Public Relations and Marketing Projects There are a variety of ongoing projects that the Communications Intern will lead and/or participate in throughout the duration of his/her experience. These include: organizing and uploading student photos, writing and issuing press releases, contacting local media outlets, copy editing, search engine optimization, and other projects as assigned. Organization skills and marketing experience are essential.
2. Oversee Student Arrivals/Departures Outward Bound Costa Rica personally meets and transports all students to and from the airport to our main base. Due to the fact that all students make individual travel arrangements, this necessitates multiple airport runs per arrival and departure day. The Communications Intern will be primarily responsible for ensuring that these days run smoothly. This includes creating and verifying travel reports, traveling to the airport with drivers, personally greeting all students at the arrivals area and ensuring parents are informed about all students’ safe arrival. This responsibility will necessitate several very early mornings, multiple long days spent at the airport, as well as some weekend days. A cheerful morning demeanor and positive attitude are essential. Spanish proficiency is very useful and preferred.
3. Manage Program Evaluation Efforts The Communications Intern will be in charge of issuing, collecting and compiling all participant evaluations. This will require proficiency in Microsoft Office, organization skills and an interest in market research. Also, the Intern will use Salesforce (CRM platform), though prior experience with this program is not necessary.
4. Support Instructors with Student Supervision Our main base serves as the hub for all Outward Bound Costa Rica courses. At times, students will be on base for transition days, medical issues and/or behavior problems. The Communications Intern may be asked to supervise and engage students in productive activities during these times. An ability to uphold organizational values is vital. Knowledge of basic first aid would be helpful, though is not necessary.
• Monthly stipend for the duration of the internship
• Room and board consisting of a shared room in our Instructor Dorm, utilities, laundry facilities, and use of the international phone
• Basic travel insurance coverage through INS for duration of internship.
• Opportunity to go on Outward Bound Costa Rica courses (selected by the Comm Director) as part of training and for procuring information for marketing materials
• Use of Manuel Antonio beach base when not working and when approved by the Program Director and Comm Director
• Use of Outward Bound Costa Rica gear for personal recreation and/or on course per approval by the Program Director. Intern will be responsible for reimbursing any borrowed gear that is lost or damaged during personal recreation time.
How to Apply
Submit cover letter and resume to Deb Woolley, Director of Marketing & Communications at firstname.lastname@example.org. Specify “Communications Intern” in the subject line. Be sure to include details on your availability, both for interviews and ultimate start date, as well as how you heard about this job opportunity. No phone calls please.
Sign up for bimonthly newsletter in the footer below to receive announcements on employment opportunities.